I just wanted to share some accomplishments that I have made over this summer. I didn't really feel like posting them all over my blog, but I did want to share them with you all.
Yesterday I ran 3 miles. Without stopping.
To you 10k runners out there, this may sound a little whimpy, but let me tell you a story:
At the beginning of Winter semester, I made a goal. I wanted to run 3 days a week. I didn't care how far I ran, or how fast, I just knew I needed to exercise and be healthier. So with the help and encouragement of Cory, we did it every week of that semester. When I first started, I could barely make it around one lap without wanting to die. It was rather embarrassing, but I didn't let that get to me. I had in the past and that is why I always gave up on exercising. I kept the scripture from the title of this post in mind. I would set small goals and work to improve each week. Slowly, very slowly, I began to notice improvement. I remember the first time I ran a full mile without stopping. I completed the 5th lap, pumped my arms in the air and couldn't stop smiling. I immediately called my mom to tell her the news.
As the semester went on, I had good days and bad. Some days I felt like I could keep running longer, some I couldn't. By the end of the semester, I was able to say that I had run a full 2 miles without stopping. Then finals hit. My schedule was crazy, I was moving, starting another job and I was beat. I stopped going as consistently and this continued for about a month and a half.
I went on my trip to Virginia and after that trip, I knew I had to make changes in my health habits. I ate so much fast food on that trip, I felt disgusting. I wanted to lose weight and continue running. The losing weight part has always been hard for me. I've tried so many times and I never stick with it. I made a decision to join Weight Watchers at the beginning of June. I haven't told very many people (if people ask what I'm doing, I usually just tell them I'm watching what I eat...which is true!) because I felt slightly embarrassed about it. I'm so glad that I joined. As of yesterday, I've lost 21.2 lbs! :)
Once I joined Weight Watchers, I still had a tough time getting myself to go run. Once day, I just decided to do it. I usually go when I get home from work at 8, and there are days that I just don't want to, but I do it anyway. Yesterday as I was running, I was going to stop at 2 miles, but then I decided to try to go a little longer and was able to make it 3! My knees hurt afterward, but I felt great.
Now Stephanie, I just have to tell you, I'm not planning on hiking Timp. I honestly cannot subject myself to that kind of pain and torture. I know I told you if I lost 20 lbs, I'd do it, but maybe next Summer...haha. (Don't be mad at me...)
Well, Ladies, I hope you all know that I love you. I also hope that you are making goals and working toward them. One thing that I learned is that you have to have patience and even when you have set backs, continue trying. Don't be too hard on yourself and NEVER give up on yourself. The Lord will help if you ask Him to, and He'll most definitely never give up on you.
I can't wait to see you all soon!!!
2 comments:
Kylie I'm so proud of you!!! That is such a huge accomplishment! You should be so proud of yourself. That's is so great! Keep up the good work! you rock!!! :)
Oh Kylie, clearly you have not learned as much about keeping committments as this post claims. I just want to spend some quality time with you before I get hit by a terrorist attack in Israel, but that's ok. Haha but actually, I'm really proud of you!!! This post made me happy and feel inspired to stick to my own goals, because I've been pretty bad lately and I like to see that it IS possible to make yourself do what you once thought was impossible. Maybe when I'm back in Utah we can just go for a run together instead of hike, because I'm pretty sure that 3 miles is close to my limit as well.
Post a Comment