Monday, February 6, 2012

I'm Engaged

It's about time!  I have been waiting for this little baby for a month!
So, I know we all want to hear the proposal story so here goes.  In order for you to properly understand I will include a little background story
So, on Jan. 5th Sean and I ordered the ring you see in the pictures below.  We had to do a custom order because I found one in the store, but I wanted it to be a little different.  The custom order is 4 steps. First you order the ring and meet with a jeweler to talk about what you want.  Then you come in to approve a 3D image, then you come in to approve a wax model, and then you go in to pick it up.  The process takes 4-6 weeks, about a week for each step.  The guy we ordered it from said because it was a pretty simple custom it would probably only take 3 weeks.  We were super excited and he told us he would call us in a week to approve the 3D image. Well, about 2 weeks went by and we hadn't heard anything.  Sean called them and they said it wasn't done yet but they would call us when the image was done, it should be later today or tomorrow.  We waited another 4 days and finally decided to just drop by.  When we dropped by and asked about the image, to our disgust it was finished, but no one had called us.  Sadly, the image was wrong, they had messed something up and would have to make another one.  We were feeling pretty helpless and like we were never going to get the ring.  It had taken 2 1/2 weeks just to get an image and it wasn't even right.
So, we waited some more.  They did call us in to approve a second image a few days later and we were feeling good.  It was only one more week until the promise date of Feb. 5th.  The lady told us making the wax and then making the ring were the fastest parts of the process.  We waited another week and still hadn't heard anything...or at least that's what I thought!
Sean called me when he got off work on Saturday evening.  He said he wanted to take me out for a special little date because he felt bad that we hadn't gotten to do anything for our 10 month anniversary on Monday.  I thought it sounded sweet and I was excited.  The thought crossed my mind that he might propose, but I thought no way.  We hadn't approved the wax so I was sure he couldn't have had the ring already.  We got in the car and he told me this special date had 3 stops.  First, we would go to the CocoBean to get cupcakes.  I love their cupcakes and Sean regularly surprises me with them on our month anniversaries.  Then, we went and to Starbucks and got Hot Chocolate.  As we were leaving Starbucks we could see Jared's (where we got the ring), and I suggested that we go over and give them some grief for taking so long on the ring.  Sean just chuckled and said he'd rather not.  So funny.  Then he told me where we were going for the 3rd spot.  
He said we were going to the blue house where I used to live when we first started dating.  He had gone over their earlier in the day and asked the girls that live their now if he could bring his girlfriend up to sit on the roof and have a little date.  I was so excited! When Sean and I first started dating we sat up on that roof all the time!  We had our first kiss up their, we decided we wanted to start dating up their and we would sit up their and talk for hours in the evenings.  I always loved sitting up their with him and thought it was so sweet of him to think of it.  We headed up the old stairs and I was holding the cupcakes.  As we got to the top, Sean says, "Oh, look! Blankets!"  He had had his roommate Joseph go up and put some blankets up for us while we were getting our treats.  Too bad Joseph put them in the wrong place.  So we bundled them up and took them over to where we would usually sit.  
I sat down and started to get comfy.  Sean was still standing up and he asked me to stand up and give him a hug ( I found out later he did that so I would be standing while he got down on one knee, it was super cute!).    I was hugging him and he was saying sweet things about how much he loved me and how he thought it was so neat that we were back up on the roof of the house and I mentioned about our first kiss.  Their was tons of reminiscing going on!  Then he got really serious and asked me if he could talk to me about something.  I was a little thrown off.  I was startled, but said yes.  Then he took a step back and got down on one knee.  I just shook my head and said, "What?  How do you have that"  He pulled out the ring and popped open the box.  I covered my mouth and just kept saying things like, "Where did you get that, how do you have that? What?"  I was blown away!  Sean was just smiling, I'm sure he was just so proud of himself.  Then he said, "Cory Suzanne Schiess, will you marry me?"  I said yes and bent down to hug and kiss him.  I was so surprised and so happy.  We just stayed their for a while knelt down and he put the ring on my finger.  It was so gorgeous and even though it was kind of dark up their I could tell it was so gorgeous and exactly what we had wanted.  I was pretty shocked and we sat down and snuggled up in the blankets while he finally told me how he had the ring.
He said that on Friday Jared's had called him and said the ring would be done on Saturday at 12pm.  He was a little confused and asked if they meant the wax mold.  They told him no, they had just skipped over that step and went straight into making the ring so that it would be done by Feb. 5th, the promise date.  He was shocked and said he would be there to pick it up.  He picked it up on Saturday and spent the whole day freaking out about what he was going to do and how he was going to propose.  He thought he still had another week or more to prepare.  The cutest part of the story to me is that he said he practiced proposing to his roommate Joseph (Naylor) in the hallway all day and was really nervous.  Because Joseph is such a good roommate, he always said yes no matter what.  Sean also said he and Joseph practiced hugging with the ring box in different pockets to see where he could put it so I wouldn't feel it.  So cute!
Well, that's the story.  It was such a surprise and absolutely perfect.  I did not see it coming and I am so excited to finally be able to tell the everyone!
Now, here's some pictures!
Close up, really doesn't do the ring justice.  
Can't wait for you guys to see it in person!

So happy!

7 comments:

Kylie said...

I'm crying. Oh my goodness, I am so happy for you. I LOVE the ring, it is so perfect. I can't wait for April 27th!

Summer said...

this ring looks just like something you would pick out! beautiful.

Kasidy said...

Oh this makes me so happy. You guys are like the greatest couple. I'm so glad you're getting married.

Stefanie Orton said...

April 27? Is that the big day?!? Cory it is SO beautiful and such a sweet story! love it! I'm seriously so excited for you! Being married is like the best thing you can ever imagine... and then multiply that by like a million! ...seriously though. :) I'm so happy! :) YAY!

Stefanie Orton said...

haha! Me and Kas posted at the exact same time... freaky ;)

Cory Sue said...

oh gosh, that is freaky, you guys are like on the same wave length or something.
yep, April 27th! Bountiful Utah Temple! So excited!

Steph said...

Woohooooo! Seriously so excited.