Saturday, August 1, 2009

Long Overdue Update

Hey! I was just sitting on the computer being bored and decided that it is time for you all to hear about my latest adventures!

As some of you may know, I got back from Guatemala almost 2 weeks ago. It seems like I have been home forever though. I really, really miss it. It really was one of the best experiences of my life. I learned SO much about the country and its people, how doing development work is a lot harder and more complicated than I ever imagined it could be, and so much about myself too. It's probably best if I don't tell you all about it on here. It's pretty much all I talk about in real life, so to spare you all the pain of hearing everything twice I will move onto my next adventure.

Since neither Jen nor I have a summer job or enough time to get a summer job, my dad recently decided to assign us to spend some time with my grandma going through her family history stuff and cleaning out her office. Man, she is a pack-rat with no organizational skills. We went for the first time on thursday and on top of her computer I found a recipe, a biography of my grandpa's parents, a pedigree chart, and some bank statements. 4 completely unrelated documents. It's going to be fun doing that. The whole room looks like everything has been pulled out of the bookshelves and placed in no particular place at all. What makes it even better is that my grandma is starting to forget things and she gets distracted really easily. Also, she won't ever let you do anything for her, you have to trick her into thinking she's doing YOU a favor by letting you organize her stuff. We spend most of our time thinking of different ways to manipulate her. So yeah, in addition to hearing some wonderfully innocent racial remarks about our great-great-great-grandfather who is famous for "taming the indians," we've actually come across some pretty cool stuff. While going through her den I found a huge envelope stuffed with family letters sent to my dad while he was on his mission! Me and Jen were able to take them out of the house and have put them all in a binder for my dad's birthday, which is tomorrow. My grandma was all worried about us taking them in case there were some letters from old girlfriends. She didn't want him to get embarrassed. Oh grandma. But yeah, we've been reading the letters as we've organized them and it's been so neat. Most of them are from my dad's sister, who died when I was about 6, and from my grandparents (my grandpa died when I was 14). I never really knew my aunt and it's been so wonderful to get to know her personality through these letters.

Anyway, that's the exciting stuff going on here. Other than that I really don't do much. Today I mowed the lawn, which was a pretty big deal. My parents are in California with my sister, who is very great with child. So pretty much within the next few weeks I should have a brand new neice! I am so excited to hold her.

I love hearing from you guys. I love how completely different all of our lives are right now. It's so crazy how much can change in just a few months! Summer, I am so excited for your wedding. You are going to be so beautiful! I really hope I can make it. Right now it's looking like I will be there, but I'm afraid to say anything for sure in case things change. Cory, I'm so excited you met Keagan. Also, I have absolutely no idea what else is going on in your life right now which I think is a problem. I'm so excited to see you! Kylie, I'm going to call you tomorrow about my bank card. And about your life. I hope you have some good boy drama going on or I will be slightly disappointed. Stef, I'm so happy to hear from you again! I'm also excited to see you and hear all of your adventures of the summer! And last of all Kasidy, did you show Sean the tyrant and spice girls video?! Haha, oh man. I hope El Sal is kicking trash. I'm sure it is. Live it up, and please wave hello to Guatemala from across the border for me! Maybe even blow a kiss. Are you going to get a chance to go there at all?

Alright team, I'm glad everyone's doing well! Have a fabulous week!

No comments: