Monday, November 2, 2009

Dishes

Ok, so I know it's been a long time since I posted and I'm sorry that I'm going to break my silence with a relatively negative post, but I need to rant just a little bit.

First off, I know everyone in an apartment always feels like they're the only one cleaning. Except that in my apartment, we have a whiteboard where we keep track of the cleaning we've done, so that this time I know that I'm the only one doing the cleaning. I'm at least doing more than everyone else. Which is ok, because I know people are busy and sometimes you just have those weeks where you aren't on top of it enough to do the dishes. Except that it's not ok when "those weeks" happen to be EVERY week. I'm getting frustrated with the idea people seem to have that because you're busy and stressed, the world owes you something (or you no longer owe what you actually do). Because let's face it, when you really look outside of your busy life, isn't everyone busy or stressed about something? What is it that makes us think that because we are busy, no one else is and therefore everyone else has some sort of duty to pick up your slack?

I'm really tired of picking up everyone else's slack. Is that bad? I feel bad, because I think if I was really doing things for the right reasons, I wouldn't be keeping a tally of how much more I'm doing than them and I wouldn't feel entitled to get anything back. Mostly I'm just tired of coming home every day to a dirty kitchen, and pretending like it's ok with me that I'm doing my roommates' dishes for the millionth time, when I'm actually kind of tired, and busy, and stressed out, and wishing I could eat something without having to clean the whole house first.

Ok, that is all.

5 comments:

Kasidy said...

Oh poor Stephanie.. don't you just wish you were living with me again? Everyone knows that I always clean up after myself and do more than my share. I just can't live in the mess! Keep at it, Steph. You can do it. Or I can fight them for you. Let me know.

Kylie said...

I know how you feel! I think I was the only one during the Summer that ever did any dishes. And if they do the dishes once, they think they should have to do them anymore. Maybe talk to them if it gets really bad. I was never brave enough to do that, but if it's making your life miserable, it's an option.

You're awesome! I'm glad you updated.

Summer said...

bummer!

it's bad when i come home to a huge mess and i have no one to blame but myself! ah.

miss you guys!

Cory Sue said...

my mom would always put our dirty dishes in our beds. You should try that one out with your roommates, I'm sure it will go over really well!

Stefanie said...

haha steph i totally feel your pain. i've decided this time to see how long it will take for someone else to do the dishes (none of my roommates do their dishes either). I cleaned up the whole kitchen on Saturday afternoon and then went up to my sister's and to Jeremy's and didn't come home until sunday night. the kitchen was a disaster and i KNEW for a fact NONE of it was mine. so now i'm conducting an experiment. lol mature, i know :) i'll let you guys know how it goes. but i wish you the best of luck with your own roommates. you are not alone. :)

and also, i miss you guys a lot too. and love you more!